Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do wire a starter for a 1950 GMC truck?

I am changing the starter in my 1950 GMC truck from a floor starter to a key.Also changing from a generator to a 1 wire alternator. I have an old wiring diagram that I found online but doesn't seem to be correct. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.How do wire a starter for a 1950 GMC truck?
The floor starter for the old classics are something that can be changed out if you update everything to 12v negative ground system and it would be the only way for the 1 wire alt to work also.



I have done this to my 62 Econoline van. I pulled all the old alternator wires off and disconnected them and capped them off. Then the 1 wire Delco Remy alt needed a few spacers to fit up and it works great, single 10ga red wire ran to positive on battery. I recommend a 10ga ground wire from the alt bracket to chassis ground also. 1 Wire alternator are known to burn up from having a bad connection.



The starting thing is more preference for you, but I have seen some install a push button to aid in starting these oldies.How do wire a starter for a 1950 GMC truck?
1. Need to know the model of key starter you are buying. Most of the time they just fit into a wire harness, it would be appropriate to know what model your were getting so you could cross over your wiring.



2. On the alternator, I would do the same thing, match the alternator up with current application and run wires where they have to go.



Alldata.com

No comments:

Post a Comment