Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do you change the starter on 98 Pontiac Grand Prix?

I believe my starter is out. For a while, my car has had a slower time starting. Now it won't even start. The lights work and I tried jumping it but nothing. It makes a clicking noise when I turn the key all the way but no multiple clicking noises or other sounds. Does anyone know if this is my starter. And if so, how do I change it so I don't have to pay outrageous prices?How do you change the starter on 98 Pontiac Grand Prix?
This may sound funny but the easiest way to check to see if the starter is no good is the tap it with a hammer while the ignition switch is in the start position. If the starter spins after being struck replace it. To remove it, disconnect the negative battery cable (black) at the battery, remove the wires from the solenoid, remove the 2 mounting bolts, remove starter from vehicle, reverse to install.

No comments:

Post a Comment