Thursday, September 22, 2011

Had water in engine oil on boat. fixed problem but still have traces of water?

I own a 2002 chapparel 196 ssi with a 5.0 volvo penta. last season I had the dreaded water in my engine oil problem. I took it to my mechanic and after compression checks that came out normal he discovered that I had a bad starter and that the engine was dieseling sucking water into the engine. we drained the engine and blew some water out through the plug holes. a few weeks later I figured it would be a good idea to drain the engine again. sure enough there was still small traces of water droplets in the lightly milky oil that was suspected. I just went to change the oil again and still small traces of water. I dont suspect water is still being sucked up because we changed the starter and water in the oil is less and less after each change. Also because the oil level never rises after changes indicating water entering the system is not present. So my question is...... Does anyone know how I can flush all traces of water out of the system without doing 5 or 6 more oil changes. thanks.Had water in engine oil on boat. fixed problem but still have traces of water?
If the amount is small as you indicate, I wouldn't worry to much about it. My real question is are the crankcase vent hoses connected properly..... Run the engine, but keep an eye on it. The heat of running will eventually take care of the problem. You might change the oil again in 20 hours. Good LuckHad water in engine oil on boat. fixed problem but still have traces of water?
You are stuck with the way you are doing it.

There is still a little water in the oil as it has collected on all the parts inside the engine. Until they vaporize and go out the vents and into the carb you are stuck with it.Had water in engine oil on boat. fixed problem but still have traces of water?
You're doing the only practical thing other than tearing the engine down. Could check the breathers, keep an eye on the oil colour on the dip stick and just change the oil and filter every 20 or 30 hours as stated elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment