Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I replace a flexplate, flexiplate?

Car - 1991 Nissan Maxima SE~~automatic transmission.



How do I replace a flexplate, flexiplate? I'm not very automotive, should I get a mechanic to do this for me?



The part, I believe, is responsible for a screeching sound when I start it.



How do I prevent the flexplate wearing down and becoming defective in the first place? I just changed the starter about 8 months ago, is this possibly related?How do I replace a flexplate, flexiplate?
You need to have a mechanic do this, it requires at bear minimum partial removal of the transmission.



Its possible that the starter wasn't aligned correctly in which case it could eat the gear off the flexplate. I have heard a lot of complaints about nissan flexplates though over the years. As for slowing the wear down its just making sure the starter is aligned perfectly.How do I replace a flexplate, flexiplate?
sounds more like a bad starter alignment than a ring gear when did noise start? i think i would take in for a mechanic to listen to as a starter is way cheaper than a ring gearHow do I replace a flexplate, flexiplate?
Yes, it does require removal of transmission. So you'll have to ask yourself a few questions when this gets done.

How much is the car worth?

How many miles are on it?

The car and the tranny are 15 years old. Maybe it's time to get it rebuilt while it's out. It would suck for it to fail a year down the road. Get new CV joint boots installed, have the CV joint bearings checked or install new ones.

I would call or take it to an ATRA certified shop and get an estimate for all the work. Estimates cost nothing.How do I replace a flexplate, flexiplate?
You have to pull the engine or the transmission to get at it.! I am not sure if the starter Bendix is bad or are there teeth missing on the flex plate/flywheel..I would pull the starter and look at the teeth on the flex before anything else..If the teeth look good I would suspect the Bendix.. They are replacable as a unit without replacing the entire starter.....Turn it over with a big screwdriver using the teeth through the starter hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment