Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Starter motor stopped working, what do I do?

I have a 2001 Jetta (GLS 2.0 L). During the last couple of months, the starter motor would make a funny scream when I started it. I ignored it until it stopped working today. I thought it might be due to low battery, but jumper started didn't recover it.



Now, how do I change the starter? how even I tow the car to a mechanic? I know a remanufactured starter would cost like 100 bucks, but how expensive is it to tow my car? (I live in Charlotte, NC). Any alternative way?



any input is highly appreciatedStarter motor stopped working, what do I do?
Try doing a little work yourself.



Get the front end up on some ramps. Disconnect your battery and then follow your Positive cable down and it bolts onto the starter. You will find other wires connected to the battery. Should only be 2 bolts holding the starter on. Disconnect and take it out. While looking inside the starter, have someone connect the battery and turn the starter. You should see a larger gear jump forward and spin rapidly. If it doesn't, remove positive battery cable and clean the terminals and cable until they shine. Reconnect and try it again. If it continues to not spin or move forward, get a new starter. Put it in yourself. A few wrenches is all you needs, AND a battery terminal cleaner.Starter motor stopped working, what do I do?
see if some onelocal knowes how to change a str mtr for a few bucks it will cost ules than the tow jobStarter motor stopped working, what do I do?
First you have to determine what the trouble is. If it has been happening for a while there are several things that could be happening. You could have a faulty starter, the ring gear may be stripped, the starter may have the bolts that attach it to the motor loose. You can get it towed no problem. You will have to check these things out before you buy another starter. Hope this helps you out.
  • vb
  • server
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment